Saturday, August 25

How To High Waist

There's no denying it- high-waisted wide-leg pants have hit the fashion world full force. And why not? They take the emphasis off of your legs and create a longer, leaner torso and a beautiful hourglass shape. And the possibilities are endless with shorts, pencil skirts and skinny jeans also hitting the market in high style. But as many things in the crazy world of outlandish designs and eating disorders will do, potential fashionistas are unsure as to how to make this style work.

Rachel Bilson.. the reason I have faith in high-waists and wide-legs

Jeans are the big, big way to work this trend. If you can't seem to find the difference between a high waist and mom jeans, take baby steps and simply opt for wide-leg. Alloy has an excellent selection, priced from $27 to $36. And my favorite part- extended inseams!


Paris Blues, Truck and Piper High-Waist jeans at Alloy.com
Try the code "AEJAFF" for free shipping on $25+ orders through August 30!


Still can't do it? Go for formal. That way, they can be dressed up with a great blouse and heels and won't seem too trendy. My favs? Victoria's Secret, of course! These girls can turn a paper bag into instant Chanel, but I actually believe that the Christie fit might just look great on regular people, too.


The Christie fit, mid-rise wide-leg, $69.50


Ready to go all-out? I thought so! Urban Outfitters is the place for you. This trend hasn't hit mainstream yet, so if you're trying to be trendy on the cheap, you may end up looking more granny than goddess.



Try your luck with Silence & Noise, $98

This trend looks best on flat tummies, long torsos and smaller boobs, but not necessarily all at once. What do boobs have to do with it? Tucking in. If the waist is high: gravity-defy! Alright, that was terrible.. but tuck it in if you want to win! Err, whatever.. just put your shirt in your pants, unless you have big boosoms!

Oh, Jessica.. no, not today. At all.

Don't get pants so huge that you appear to be a footless wonder. The tip of your (pointy-toe? open-toe platform?) shoes should be visible. Also, be wary if you're short. Too much length can make legs appear stumpy instead of swan-like! The reason we should all rock high-waisted jeans? The ability to bend over, sit down or stretch without double checking for butt cleavage and muffin tops first!


Peace,
The Wannabe

5 comments:

Christina said...

High waist - this is a trend I'm not sure I can carry off... but I'll try it in the dressing room at least!

Thanks for visiting my blog and if you have any questions about sewing, feel free to ask me :)

Jade Strange said...

lol, I had a blog about those mom-jeans on my old site. They are just ungodly

Michelle said...

thanks for dropping by and leaving a comment! Love the site. It's like style for real people.

RE: high waisted pants...I know better. They don't belong on me. I'm a little too short, squat, and big-boobed. Ugh!

Hildur said...

I think the high waisted jeans can look great on the right person but it can too look horrible, like on Jessica Simpson. But since I'm really short, 5'1, I think I couldn't pull it off, but it gave me some hope to see Rachel Bilson wearing them.

This blog is great, keep it up!

Jessica O'Brien said...

I think Rachel Bilson may be the only celeb to wear this trend and make the think of following it. She looks super cute in those shots!

I get that skinny jeans are phasing out but I don't see myself going wider than a classic leg with a slight flare. Wide leg is one thing, but high waisted is just too much for me...